Drivers facing DUI charges may want to seek the help of an experienced DUI defense attorney to represent them in their case. The potential damage to your driving record, your criminal record, and your insurance rates is significant.
If your DUI case involves no insurance you might also find it difficult to obtain insurance after the DUI charges are filed. Fortunately, criminal defense attorney James Novak in Phoenix, AZ can help minimize the consequences of being arrested for DUI.
Possible Punishments for Driving without Insurance in Arizona
The consequences of driving without having the required insurance in Arizona can be severe. Drivers face the following penalties:
- A fine of up to $500.00 for a first time offender, as well as potential suspension of driving privileges for three months.
- Second time offenders pay a $750 fine and can lose their right to drive for six months.
- Third time offenses carry a fine of $1,000 and loss of driver’s license for on year.
Many instances in which drivers are given a ticket for driving without insurance are civil matters, and can be easily cleared up by presenting proof of insurance prior to the hearing date noted on the ticket. But when a DUI is also involved, the stakes are even higher.
What You Need to Know about DUI Charges
Officers may make DUI arrests any time a driver is caught driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 percent or more. The range of punishment varies for DUI cases, depending on whether the defendant is a first time or subsequent offender. For example:
- First time offenders: First time DUI offenders can receive between 30 days and six months in jail, just over $2,500 in fines, and be required to attend drug or alcohol counseling while on probation
- Second time offenders: Second time offenders will spend between 120 days and six months in jail, pay close to $3,500 in fines, and may lose their license
If there is no insurance policy at the time of the DUI arrest, the driver can also be ticketed for driving without insurance. Defendants in these cases may face even harsher consequences, and they will find it difficult to obtain reasonable insurance rates after the case is over.
Our team is experienced in providing DUI defense, and we work one-on-one with each of our clients to develop a defense strategy that works.
Who to Call for Help with DUI and No Insurance Cases
James Novak helps drivers protect their rights after getting a DUI. We know how important your driving and criminal records are to your employment and other areas of your personal life. Contact us online or call our office today at (480) 413-1499 to learn more.