An Experienced Aggravated DUI Lawyer Can Help Minimize Your Sentence
Attorney James E. Novak has years of experience helping clients understand aggravated DUI law and protecting their rights when charged with a DUI. In Arizona, an aggravated DUI is a felony and carries steep penalties for the accused. Penalties include mandatory jail time, substantial fines, a revoked license, and more. A felony charge can have serious consequences on your personal life, affecting employment and housing opportunities. If you have been charged with a DUI, contact James E. Novak, an experienced aggravated DUI lawyer in Phoenix, AZ, who thoroughly understands Arizona law and can help to get you achieve the minimum sentence.
What Is an Aggravated DUI?
In Arizona, you may be charged with an aggravated DUI for any of the following reasons:
- Driving under the influence with a suspended or revoked license
- Driving under the influence with two or more DUIs within the last seven years
- Driving under the influence with a passenger under the age of 15
- Driving under the influence and causing an accident that results in property damage, injuries, or fatalities.
What Are the Penalties for an Aggravated DUI?
If you are charged with an aggravated DUI, it will be classified as either a Class 6 or Class 4 felony, with Class 6 penalties involving less jail time and fewer fines. With a Class 6 Aggravated DUI, the minimum mandatory sentence is as follows:
- 90 or more days in jail
- $1,000 or more fines and fees
- Mandatory participation in drug and/or alcohol counseling
- One year or more of an installed ignition-interlocking device in vehicle
- One year or more with a suspended license
A Class 4 felony carries steeper penalties:
- Four months or more in prison
- $4,000 or more in fines and other fees
- Participation in a mandatory drug and/or alcohol counseling program
- Two years or more with an ignition-interlocking device installed in your vehicle
- Driver's license revoked for three or more years
Other Consequences of an Aggravated DUI
A felony aggravated DUI carries far more consequences than the penalties outlined above. A felony charge can have a severe impact on your personal life. You will likely see an increase in your car insurance rates.
Felony charges such as an aggravated DUI stay on your record and can be used against you if you are ever charged with a felony in the future, making future punishments even more severe.
Some individuals lose their job following a felony aggravated DUI charge. A felony can also place limitations on the housing options available to you, and if you have children, it can affect your custody rights.
Contact the Law Firm of James E. Novak
It is important to contact a skilled DUI lawyer as soon as possible if you have been charged with an aggravated DUI. Felony charges such as an aggravated DUI stay on your record and can be used against you if you are ever charged with a felony in the future, making future punishments even more severe. James Novak is an experienced attorney who specializes in this specialized area of the law. Working with James Novak can result in a dramatically reduced sentence for you, if he can’t get the case dismissed altogether. If you have been charged with an aggravated DUI, contact the Law Firm of James E. Novak today to schedule your case evaluation.